Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Parenting Woes

I have decided that the most difficult part of parenting, for me, and probably for most people, is when your child is sick. Evelyn has had her fair share of sicknesses, and this is increased most likely by the fact that she goes to a daycare with other children and they are really good incubators that love to share germs! :)  I know that this is good in the long run because she is building up a really good, strong immune system, but this doesn't help make the baby, or the mommy and daddy feel any better when the baby feels so crummy.

The last few days have been some of the hardest for me as mommy (daddy is better at this, he has better patience and is not as much of a perfectionist). What really bothers me in particular is my feeling of helplessness, most of the time there is not much you can do but hold them and cuddle them, don't get me wrong, I love this, but when they have a stuffy nose and can't breathe, or want to only drink milk which will cause them to throw up, this just breaks the mommy's heart.

The last few days, Evelyn has been throwing up at night, no other real symptoms, she would be sleeping and wake up crying (not completely unusual for her, but we can usually get her back to sleep in a minute or two) but the past few nights it was a really upset cry and we could calm her but she would cry again in like 10-15 minutes and then the third time crying hard she would cough and then empty her tummy! :(  I think what bothered me most here is that I am a pretty logical thinking, there is a cause to an effect, and I could not find out the cause to this effect, and when I cannot determine that, that is when my temper and frustration escalates! Dealing with a baby that throws up on everything is quite the process. To get them back to sleep, striping the whole bed and trying to wash out things all while cleaning, comforting, and changing the baby... and on top of it you all lose sleep! I have decided that vomiting in the middle of the night is the worst thing for a sick baby... that and probably when they won't sleep cause that is just bad news for everyone too!

So in these times of desperation, parents must do what they can to keep everyone safe, sane, and happy. For us this meant letting Evelyn get comfy cozy in bed with us! Boy, Mike and I are really happy we decided to get a king size bed. All three off us in there can get a bit crowded (and add Indy who is a bed hog), but somehow still I seem to be the one with the least amount of space (but I get the most cuddle time! :) ) Then my mommy worries kick in (and I hope I am not the only one that does this) and I am thinking oh darn we are creating a monster that will only sleep in mommy and daddy's bed... Sometimes I feel like I have to make myself a switch to turn off those nagging mommy worries and say, you have to make choices in life and when a choice creates a different problem, you deal with it when you get there. Right now I need to love the choice we have made and love the extra cuddle time I have gained! :)

1 comment:

  1. Sorry she has been sick :( You shouldn't worry about the "monster" in the bed... She will understand that sharing your bed is something you are doing to make her feel comfortable when she is sick and she will love you more for it. As long as you don't make it a habit every time she cries you are just being a good mom! Hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete