Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Who we are

They say you can't really change a person, and to a really large extent I think I agree with that! :) So this statement was provoked by my amusing (well to me) teasing of Mike as we were driving home last night. So Mike and I are very fortunate to be able to drive together and save money on our decently long commute to work. Anyway, he always drives and when I chat to him, well I look at him, and I have been finding some sneaky little grey hairs on his head! HAHAHA! SO of course I am teasing him a lot about this (I think I found my first grey when I was 20 or something ridiculous) but this bothers some people, and well I think Mike doesn't like to be teased about this as much as I am teasing him. But since I am a baby of four and it is just in my nature to be the nagy-pesky-little-sibling type personality, I have to rub this into Mike, and keep pointing out the greys I find (yes there are like 6 of them!). :)

I am constantly fascinated by birth order and the impact of how you were raised. On top of that I feel how your relationships with your parents and siblings are/were is a huge factor in the way people are. I feel fortunate to be surrounded by really good relationships with people in my family and now even in my husbands family! I am truly blessed, even if I can be a sassy stinker some times, and you all know I can be! :)

Now as Evelyn's little personality continues to grow, I am constantly amazed and in awe of the little things that make her who she is (and terrified about the parts of me that show up in her). I love this part of parenting right now, watching her grow and become, well Evelyn, this truly is a blessing. The last few months have been a whirlwind and sometimes I wonder how she got to where she is, almost in a blink of my eye she has become smart and communicative, it truly is amazing! I am just thinking now of how much I can't wait to be home with her and watch as she grunts to come up in my arms (we are working on saying "up") and then proceeds to hit me in the face (which we are working on "ouch" and "be nice") and then following up with the cutest sweetest little hug as she realizes she hurt her mommy! Truly blessed I am! :)

I will end this with some amazing quotes I found:

It's not only children who grow.  Parents do too.  As much as we watch to see what our children do with their lives, they are watching us to see what we do with ours.  I can't tell my children to reach for the sun.  All I can do is reach for it, myself.  ~Joyce Maynard

Making the decision to have a child is momentous.  It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.  ~Elizabeth Stone

You don't really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around - and why his parents will always wave back.  ~William D. Tammeus

1 comment:

  1. Having a child love you, smile at you and need you is really a blessing. It changes you in more ways than you can imagine, you become more patience, understanding and loving knowing that someone else depends on you. You give to that child everything you can, you give them every minute, hour and second of your day and life and you still feel that is never enough. In return you receive that special smile, hug and most of all love. Children are a wonderful gift hold on tight it is a great ride.

    ReplyDelete